P.L. Parker

P.L. Parker

Monday, December 17, 2012

On the Sixth Day of Christmas. . .


Dear  Diary- Day 6

This morning there were six geese penned up in my front yard!  As I was counting beaks, the grouchy old man from down the street stopped by and asked me if I knew it was illegal to keep Canadian geese.  Something about a city ordinance or something.  He complained about the noise and said if I didn’t get rid of them, he'd call the cops.
I borrowed my neighbor’s truck and between the two of us, we managed to get them loaded and I headed for Julia Davis Park.  There are always geese around the pond and I figured I could let them loose and they would be fine.  About the time I got them all unloaded, a very rude man with Fish and Game came up and wanted to know what I thought I was doing.  I explained that they were a gift and that I was just trying to find them a nice home.  He snickered and then asked me what I’d been smoking. Anyone who knows me knows I don’t smoke for goodness sakes.  He told me I couldn’t leave them.  There were too many geese there as it was.  So I had to load them up again - and believe you me it wasn’t easy - and when I got home, I counted beaks and there were two more than I had originally.  I didn’t know what else to do so I shooed them into the garage until I could make a more definitive plan.  My nieces left a blow up wading pool in my shed last summer so I blew it up and filled it with water.  Maybe that will keep them happy for awhile.  They are awfully noisy.  Another trip to the pet store is in the offing.

So now I have six geese more or less, five gold rings, four crows, three chickens, two doves and we won’t talk about the poor little guy from Day 1.