Friday, April 15, 2011

Welcome Emma Lai


Welcome My Guest Author Emma Lai.

From Emma Lai's blog:
Emma likes nothing more than a challenge. First, she tackled the male-dominated field of engineering. Next, she expanded her understanding of the world by studying international relations. Finally, her husband dared her to use her experience and knowledge and devote herself to writing. She accepted his challenge and has been writing ever since. Writing keeps Emma sane. Her characters demand their stories be told and nag her incessantly until she complies. The characters are very insistent about her remaining faithful to their individual adventures. As a result, Emma writes a range of genres and levels of heat. She never knows what the next set of characters will demand! What is it about the romance genre that appeals to you? I’ve been reading stories for the romance in them for as long as I can remember. When I was in elementary school I kept wanting Nancy Drew and Frank Hardy to date. (I don’t remember if they do or not, but when I started reading the books, they were all just friends.) I attempted to write my first romance in elementary school as well. It was a high school romance. What does an elementary student know about high school? Nothing, is the answer. The story was horrible. What is it about romance that draws me though? I like the push and pull between the hero and heroine, and, of course, the happy ending.

What is it about the romance genre that appeals to you?

I’ve been reading stories for the romance in them for as long as I can remember. When I was in elementary school I kept wanting Nancy Drew and Frank Hardy to date. (I don’t remember if they do or not, but when I started reading the books, they were all just friends.) I attempted to write my first romance in elementary school as well. It was a high school romance. What does an elementary student know about high school? Nothing, is the answer. The story was horrible. What is it about romance that draws me though? I like the push and pull between the hero and heroine, and, of course, the happy ending.

Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event? If so, tell me about it.

In most of my stories, character emotions are drawn from personal experience. In His Ship, Her Fantasy, Ellie’s sense of isolation was based on my initial experience when starting as an electrical engineer. In His Hope, Her Salvation, Judith’s resilience in the face of abuse was drawn from one of my first relationships, which while not physically abusive was emotionally abusive. In Twice is Not Enough, Lady Minerva’s self-sacrifice for the happiness of others was based on, well let’s face it, most women today know all about the circumstances that lead to this one. The only story with absolutely none of my life in it is my latest release, Slave to Innocence.

What inspired you to write Slave to Innocence?

Slave to Innocence was inspired by a submission call. The story line calls for stories set in Ancient Greece. I started out with the intention of writing a story about a female slave, who is rescued by a friend of the family. However, the characters refused to cooperate and I ended up with something completely different that challenged me in ways I’d never imagined. No matter what I tried, the mistress of the house refused to be written as a secondary character. Then she admitted to having feelings for the slave, and the rest, well I blush to think about it.

Are the love scenes in your books made up or are they from personal experience?

All my loves scenes are made up. Mortification burns me up at the thought of committing those particular personal experiences to paper. Not too sure what hubby would think either.

LOL – My hubby worries about that all the time. Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

My next story is an erotic contemporary. It was inspired by an idea of a friend and fellow author. Sabrina is going to lose the one thing left in the world she cares about unless she can find someone ruthless to help her. So, she turns to her ex-lover, who she abandoned five years ago without an explanation. William’s moved on with his life. A self-made millionaire with women at his beck and call, he wants to know what Sabrina’s willing to offer for his aid. Sabrina’s answer...complete and utter submission.

What draws you to a story?

A good plot with strong characters. I check out the blurb and if it portrays the story as having a good plot with strong characters, I’m tempted to read the excerpt and maybe more. What makes a good plot and strong characters? All kinds of things, which is why I read across genres with a special spot for romances, science fiction and fantasy.

If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

My current choice of dinner companion would be Franklin Roosevelt. I’d like to talk to him about where he found the courage to take on the problems facing America at the time. And, ask him what he would do if he were president now.

Do you know how your book is going to end and/or the fate of all your characters or are you surprised as you write the story and in as much suspense as the reader?

I never know how my stories are going to end. Sometimes, I don’t even know what a character is going to do next. It can be trying sometimes because I then have to go back and make sure the actions don’t contradict previous behaviors, and if they do then they have to be explained, which means I have to ask the character why they’re behaving unusually. It makes for fun writing.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?

Blog: http://emmalaiwrites.blogspot.com

Twitter: @EmmaLaiWrites

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/emmalaiwrites

Blurb: Slave to Innocence (Sins of Sybaris) Selene, the wife of a wealthy merchant, has few freedoms. To entertain herself, she uses her male slaves to fulfill her fantasies. However, she finds herself drawn to the innocence of her favorite female slave, Parthenope. Will Selene resist temptation, or will she become a slave to innocence?
>br>Thanks so much Emma for joining me and much luck in your endeavors. Patsy

25 comments:

Cate Masters said...

Congrats on another release Emma! Such an intriguing setting. Wishing you many sales!

P.L. Parker said...

Good morning Emma, everyone. I love the concept of this story. Thanks for being here this week.

Lynn Chantale said...

Great post. Can't wait to read the new one!

Sarah Grimm said...

Great interview, ladies!

AJ Nuest said...

Great interview Patsy and Emma. Slave to Innocence sounds very intriguing. Sigh...just another book to add to my very overloaded TBR list. :-)

P.L. Parker said...

Thanks for stopping by ladies - I now, my TBR list just keeps growing and growing!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Emma and Patsy,

Great post, guys!

Emma,
Congratulations on your new release!
Don't you love it when your characters want to take over? lol

I wish you the best!

P.L. Parker said...

Thanks Karen for stopping by.

Emma Lai said...

I'm a day late to my own party. *Sigh* Thanks for having me Patsy.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks Cate. It was interesting research for the setting. It sparked a new interest into ancient history.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks Chantale! I hope you enjoy it.

Emma Lai said...

Hi Sarah! Hope the new job is treating you well.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks AJ! I wonder if there's a memory device in existence capable of holding the accumulated bytes of our eBook TBRs.

Emma Lai said...

Karen, I am but a mere passenger in a car wildly careening down the road with the main character at the wheel, and what a fun ride it is.

P.L. Parker said...

Hi Emma - good to hear from you.

Jennifer Ann Coffeen said...

I loved this interview! It was great hearing more about your writing process Emma.

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Emma, wishing you the best in your writing. I, too, worked in a male dominated manufacturing environment, ending up eventually as a stress engineer--not what I wanted, of course. What I wanted was to write. Now that I'm retired, I can.

Keep writing the stories of your heart and your readers will love you for it.

elaine cantrell said...

Congratulations on your new book!

Emma Lai said...

Thanks for visiting Jennifer, Vonnie and Elaine!

Mary Ricksen said...

Emma you are just amazing. You know how I feel about ya!
I wish you the best of success and I am looking forward to reading the newest of your books!
Love your stories and you too!
Patsy, you know you got a big hug from me. Joe and his daughter are on a spring break vacation this week and they are having the time of their lives.

Emma Lai said...

Hi Mary! Hope all is well with you.

P.L. Parker said...

Hey everyone - thanks for stopping by. Mary - tell Joe hi for me - getting great reviews on the video he did for me.

Autumn Jordon said...

Always great to learn more about a fellow rose. Congrats on the new release, Emma.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks Autumn!

P.L. Parker said...

One last entry to thank Emma for joining me at my blog and thanks to all the commenters!