Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Wednesday Whinings - Jobs That Suck

There isn't a one of us that hasn't had the "job that sucked!" I can't say that I ever worked at a job that I just loved, most were just to pay the bills and get through to the next payday.  My first really sucky job was as a "prune ringfacer" for a fruit packing plant when I was 17, before that it was mostly babysitting and crawling through the fields picking strawberries. The prune ringfacer choice job involved stacking prunes upright in a flimsy cardboard ring and hoping it stayed together until the handlers got it packed. As the fruit ran out, the employees were laid off. I was kept until the last prune met its fate, much to my disgust.  

I worked at a hamburger joint across from the local high school while I was in college.  For 60 minutes or more, a horde of hungry teenagers attacked the fast food joint, demanding food yesterday. Another sucky job and one I was happy to put behind me as I moved on. 

I worked at a daycare in charge of 20 toddlers for a short time and as a secretary in the Serials Department at Idaho State University.  My then boss would pick his nose while he dictated.  Good times!



For the last 35 or so years, I worked as a legal secretary/legal assistant for various law firms, the final one for the same attorney for over 19 years.  Getting pulled in for weekend work was the crappiest ever because you rarely got a day off to make up for the lost time.  The job had its moments up and down but I can't say I miss not working in law anymore. 




But what if the job you applied for wasn't the job you got! In my Riley's Journey Trilogy, Riley finds a job which she believes is a temporary research position, only to find out that she's been sent back in time to be the mate of a man she's never before met (Nathan). She ends up 40,000 years in the past where survival of the fittest is the law of primordial Earth. Ultimately, a black ops team is sent back to find them and a new beginning. In the sequels, modern man is forced to endure the hardships so prevalent in those times as Cro-Magnon fights for dominance.










1 comment:

Karma Marsh said...

This is a grreat post