Saturday, September 15, 2018

Stepping Through the Portal - The Time Travelers #timetravel #romance #historical romance

My writing career began with time travel romances (Fiona, Riley's Journey, Into the Savage Dawn, Beyond Tomorrow and Aimee's Locket), but has since branched out into paranormal (Absolution, Heart of the Sorcerer) and science fiction (The Chalice, Breeder Slave, Abaddon Rising and Will o' the Wisp).

The lure of time travel has drawn me since I was very young. The original Time Machine is a favorite of mine and I've probably watched it twenty times in my life. 

I've often contemplated where I'd like to go if given the chance (of course, I would just want to visit - not stay there). Though I wouldn't consider myself a religious person, my first stop would have to be during the times of Christ and, if lucky, perhaps I could get a glimpse of him.  

I also have a penchant for ancient history, the farther back, the better. I have to admit, I always hated U.S. history. Didn't go back far enough for me. I want to read about ancient warriors, conquests, and the mysteries surrounding those periods of time.  

I'm a die-hard fan of the Discovery Channel and I watch at least one episode every day. Though my inspiration comes from many sources, the Discovery Channel is where my inspiration for Fiona and Riley's Journey came into being. Fiona is based upon the discovery of the Urumchi Mummies in the Taklamakan Desert of ancient China. These were a tall people and their remains reminiscent of Caucasian origin.  
 


This picture is one I believe they call the Beauty of Loulan and the second picture is a representation of what she might have looked like in real life.  Pretty amazing.

Riley's Journey is based upon the discovery of the Iceman Otzi. He was murdered high in the Italian Alps over 5,000 years ago.




You might be interested in researching both of these discoveries as they make for fascinating reading.


Aimee's Locket came from the imagination of my husband. He likes Westerns and suggested I try writing one! I have to admit, it was an arduous writing because the Old West wasn't far enough back for me, though I did find research on the Oregon Trail to be fascinating.

How amazing would it be to step through a portal and travel back? Would you go? I would!

Patsy
P.L. Parker 

No comments: