Thursday, April 16, 2020

The Longer Journey

I usually try to blog about uplifting stories and my joys in life.  Hard to do these days with the medical issues my husband is suffering. Six years ago, he had to have two sessions of chemotherapy for Hodgkins Lymphoma. The first session didn't quite get it all so he had to go through another. Afterwards, he developed AFIBs and additional treatment for that. In February 2018, he suffered his first stroke.  When they tried to clear out the vein, it collapsed and he had to have a brain vein bypass surgery, one of the very few done so far.  For the first two months, he was unresponsive and I despaired that he'd every recover, but then he moved his left hand. After months of hospitalization and rehab, he came home, mostly intact but with a few issues we easily overcame and life went on. 

In early December, 2019, hubby had a second stroke, a thalamic stroke, which has led to major cognitive issues.  My once healthy, happy, fun guy has become a 6'2" toddler. Breaks my heart into a million pieces. I wanted him home.  Unfortunately, I developed pneumonia the middle of March and was not able to see him for 3 weeks, adding in time for the corona virus quarantine. But with my usual optimism and determination, I brought him home from the care facility the first of April.  Within a short period, it has become abundantly clear that I'm not capable of taking care of this big guy 24/7.  He has few quiet times, mostly pacing, getting into things, disappearing, etc., so I'm admitting defeat. Me who never thought I couldn't do something if I put my mind to it is admitting defeat!


I thank God we decided to do some of the things we wanted to do early.  Life had dealt us some heavy blows and we wanted to enjoy our retirement so we took some of the trips that we always wanted to do.  The picture was taken in early September 2019 in Ketchikan and he was doing well then. 

I am exploring the ways to pay for the care, which if any of you know, is extremely expensive, but with God's help, I hope we can get him back to the facility he was in before I brought him home.  They like him there, and they welcome his return.

Tears are falling as I write this. So hard to accept. A few prayers for my guy would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance and my love to all of you.

Patsy

2 comments:

Cara Bristol said...

Ah Patsy, I cannot imagine the pain you're going through--to have this happen and to make the hard decisions. I feel for you. I am so sorry.

P.L. Parker said...

Thank you Cara. Wasn't something I'd planned to happen but life is full of changes.