Saturday, March 16, 2019

Green Beer and Wearing of the Green

I have to admit, I do have a little of the Irish in me. My mother's father was English and, the family history is, Black Irish, so though diluted, I am a little bit "Paddy." 

Interesting facts: 

Blue was the color traditionally associated with St. Patrick's Day but has since become green.
St. Patrick's true name was Maewyn Succat—most likely born in today's Scotland or Wales. At 16 he was kidnapped and taken to Ireland as a slave. He escaped to a monastery in France and converted to Christianity, and returned in 432 as a missionary to convert the Irish to Christianity. After his death, he was named Ireland's patron saint.

In my lifetime, I have only gone out on St. Patrick's Day once to celebrate. In honor of the day, I had my first Porter (dyed a hideous green/brown) and that is the last sip I've had of the nasty stuff. Drinking sludge is not my cup of tea.

In my lifetime, I've had my share of pinches for forgetting to wear green, and unwanted kisses from those who noticed I was wearing red. But I've also had my fun!



Bit o' fun: 'O'Halloran,' asked the pharmacist, 'did that mudpack I gave you improve your wife's appearance?' 'It did surely,' replied O'Halloran, 'but it keeps fallin' off.'

No comments: