Friday, July 19, 2019

When You Finally Catch the "Big One"

My family has always been outdoorsmen, campers, fishermen, hunters, etc.  I'm not at the bottom of the pecking order, but I've never been at or near the top either.  

I lost my father five years ago.  We always thought of Dad as a fish whisperer because no matter how the rest of us were doing, Dad always caught his limit. I don't know how many times we would go by people fishing by the river who stated there was nothing happening. Dad would step up, ask politely if he could try just to see, and then walk away with 3 or 4 fish caught out of the same spot.  It was actually very funny!  

He just had a way and he loved to fish, even at the last when he could barely get down to the river, he gave it his best.

We just got back from a camping trip near the Salmon River just north of Stanley. Amazingly enough, I scored the big one.  Biggest fish I ever caught, just after I caught the biggest fish I ever caught.  LOL.  (I think hubby was fishing for sardines but I'm sure he caught a tin-full.)  I have to say, I really felt Dad was with me this trip and helping me fish.  No other reason I managed to catch these two and it comforts me to think he was there as I still feel his loss so deeply.  Miss you Dad!

Patsy
P.L. Parker

3 comments:

Cara Bristol said...

Bittersweet moment, but what a meaningful way to remember your dad. Congrats on the big catches! Had to laugh at your husbands fishing for sardines.

P.L. Parker said...

He was filling a sardine tin one fish at a time. Honestly, he couldn't catch squat this year~

Camila said...

This was loveely to read