Monday, March 12, 2012

When Neanderthals and Cro-Magnon Roamed the Earth



Studying her face, he looked for rejection, but all he saw was his own desire reflected in her gaze. “I want you, but I want you to feel the same,” he stated bluntly. “And not because you’re the only female within miles—but because there’s something between you and me.”
Riley’s eyes dropped. “I know what you mean. How do we know if what we’re feeling is special or only because there’s no other choice? I want you, too, but what happens afterwards?”
“What do you mean?”
“I mean, will we continue as always or will this be the next step?” She looked away, fully aware of the ramifications of her question.
“Of course it’s the next step, but if you aren’t ready, or it isn’t what you want, we have plenty of time to work things out.” He stepped back and made to move away, disappointment dripping from his every move, leaving Riley bereft of his comfort.
“You asked me awhile ago if you were my woman. I didn’t answer before because I didn’t really know you, but now that I do, my answer is yes, you are my woman if you’ll have me.” He said it like a marriage proposal and in another life, Riley suspected that’s exactly what it would have been.
“To have and to hold from this day forward?” She questioned hopefully.
Taking a deep breath, Nathan struggled for the right words. “I know this whole thing has really been damnably unfair to you, and I’ve said many times how sorry I am. But in all honesty, I am having a hard time being sorry right now. Right or wrong, having you here has made all the difference to me. I can’t take you back, but I can do my best to make you happy here.”



No comments: