Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Makings of Aimee




Aimee is a modern girl, living in Seattle. She buys a locket from an antique store in Pike's Market. Shortly after, she faints (she thinks) and ends up landing on her face in a pile of horse dodo in 1847 St. Louis. Alone, penniless, all she wants is to go home. Enter Jake, wagon train scout, gorgeous, rude and very interested in the whore who lands at his feet. He offers to pay for her services for the evening, numerous times. When he finally realizes she isn't a bawd, he takes pity and helps her. Unfortunately, he is bound for the Oregon Territories. Aimee is terrified. What is she going to do? With no other possible alternative, she begs Jake to take her with him, offering him her diamond earrings in exchange for a wedding of convenience. After some soul searching, Jake agrees. They marry and the long journey begins. Jake and Aimee experience the first stirrings of passion, then love. But Aimee can't give up on her dream of returning to the present.
Research:


 Actually, I've always had a real interest in the Oregon Trail. I grew up in Idaho, then moved to Huntington, Oregon. Parts of the trail wind all around that area. Right outside Huntington, there is a spot where a family bound for Oregon finally met their maker. They were set on by Indians outside of Massacre Rock (by American Falls) and made it that far on foot before the Indians killed the rest. The bones were so decalcified from starvation, it took a lot of time and digging to find them. Sad story, but there were a lot of sad stories along the trail. Some of the events in Aimee's Locket were taken from my family history. Charlie Tuttle's experiences with lye soap was one such utilization of family history.Main characters, Aimee and Jake.
Aimee is a young college-age woman of the present, studying to be a teacher. Her red hair accentuates her feisty and determined nature. Jake is a hard working guy, a gentleman when needed, and ultimately Aimee's savior. He is nothing like the men she usually dates. She liked men who bent over backwards to please. Jake is nothing like that. He is a man, not a kid.


Would I like to be transported back in time to that era in history?

Nupe – nev
er in a million years. I like my TV, my hot bath at night, all the conveniences of modern life. I would make a terrible emigrant. They'd shoot me and leave me by the wayside to quell my whining and then they'd have to break my cold dead fingers to leave me behind.

No comments: